Update: According to Kay in NJ, via WFAN, the deal is done. Good reporting Kay, and welcome aboard Sheff. Hit the ball and everything else will take care of itself!!!!
It certainly won’t be a popular opinion, but I would love to see Sheffield in a Mets’ uniform. For me, it basically boils down to a few primary issues/reasons:
1) The Mets are lefty heavy, especially at the bottom of the order. Sheffield would help balance things out. Reyes, Murph, Wright, Delgado, Beltran, Sheffield, Schneider, Castillo looks much better than the back to back Church and Schneider (both of whom have yet to establish a solid track record against lefties).
2) Like Alou, this guy can mash. He is a feared hitter and would get plenty of RBI opportunities on the Mets. He hits to all fields and would compliment approaches by Wright, Beltran, Murphy, and even Delgado (who this spring is hitting opposite field).
3) He has proven that he can handle New York. His numbers in NY were outstanding. Gary is a player that needs to be challenged, and NY will definitely challenge an athlete.
4) He can defend as well as Church, so you don’t lose defense (as you would from a player like Manny- sorry Kay). Yes, he would essentially be replacing Church (who I like) and not Murphy, although I could see a scenario, if picked up, where he and Church could be in the lineup at the same time.
5) His negativity is blown out of proportion. He speaks his mind, as Sean Casey noted on MLB (he played with him), but he is regarded as a great teammate. I see him the same as Pedro, and he showed us all that he was a “stand up” guy. I want a guy on my team, at times, that has a F**K you attitude. Just imagine pitching to someone like that. Plus, Jerry is a “gangsta” that can handle anything.
6) As a social scientist, I think the Mets would benefit from having an African American starter on their team (Marlon Anderson is the only African American player on the roster), especially since they are paying homage to Jackie Robinson in Citifield.
http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/nym/ballpark/citifield_overview.jsp Along similar lines, how cool would it be to have Dwight’s nephew open the new house?
Posted by Gene Anthony