By Taryn “The Coop” Cooper
Welcome to the annual edition of Coop’s Crystal Ball, the post before every season that I throw some shit to the wall, and see if it sticks.
There’s not much in the prediction department but I can at least throw the stuff that I’ve talked about ad nauseum on our podcasts each week in the offseason, then some.
- Two words: Ike Davis. Two more words: Monster Year.
- Jon Niese is going to have a breakout season. Mark my words.
- The defense on this team is not going to be great. But as I’ve always said: Defense, Schmefense. However, I can say with certainty that Daniel Murphy won’t be decapitated.
- Somehow, I feel like David Wright will be extended midseason. Jason Bay, however, will be gone by All-Star Break, along with Mike Pelfrey.
- Lucas Duda and Ike Davis are going to be on the leaderboards for home runs in the NL, mark my words.
- Despite all the positivity we see regarding Johan Santana, I feel like he’ll be on the DL at some point this season and will only make 20 starts.
- I won’t say they will make the second wild card…but I do think they will keep things interesting. 81-80, with a rain out never made up (though I stole that from my husband from his predictions in 2011).
- R.A. Dickey will continue to prove that he is, indeed, the motherfucking man.
- I’ll be preoccupied until June, watching Stanley Cup playoffs. (Oh wait, wrong sport)
There you have it, folks: Read it, and weep!
Let’s Go Mets, and see you all at the Shea Bridge at 12;15 tomorrow!